Deep Dish - Future of the future

Resident Advisor 100 Richie Hawtin

martes, 29 de abril de 2008

<--ja, aki se parece a Charlie de Lost...
Perhaps the most celebrated techno DJ in the world, Hawtin has been at the cutting edge of dance music for more than a decade-and-a-half. Whether it’s his future-forward productions and mixes, his work in developing Final Scratch, or in defining minimal techno via his M_nus label, Richie Hawtin has become one of electronic music’s most recognisable figures.What makes Hawtin so fascinating, is his continued interest in the newest technology and sounds available. At the beginning of the year, Hawtin and the rest of the M_nus imprint underwent “10 Weeks of Silence”, a break that saw Hawtin officially jettison vinyl altogether. Now on a completely digital setup, he’s once again pushing himself into uncharted territory.With RA.100, Hawtin weaves together 60 minutes of snippets from deep house to techno, but don’t expect to hear any scratchy old vinyl – the big news is that after M_nus’ self-imposed 10 weeks of silence at the beginning of the year, Hawtin has now officially given up vinyl altogether.So, you’ve stopped playing records...I am now using a setup consisting of Traktor Scratch/Studio, Ableton, and A&H Mixers/controllers. So far, it’s been really inspiring for me, as though a weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and perhaps that one of the last remaining walls (or most of it) between the Studio and the Club has come down.DJ’ing and performing is - for me - at its best when you really feel free to be as creative as you can imagine, and you’re moving towards a system where you have more options. It’s still the early stages for me and my new setup, but I feel that even though I’ve perhaps lost the dynamics of vinyl, I’ve gained a more fluid, dynamic, even organic feel to my sets.Another interesting advantage of this type of setup is that it offers me more possibilities to use more of the material that I'm receiving these days. In the old days your 'crate' would be full with only final finished tracks, all mastered and polished, but now I can better use some of the pre-masters, demos, samples and things that I receive from up-and-coming producers and work them into my mix.

Rapid
iFolder

No hay comentarios: